As the head of your household or business, you know how precious your time is. Please do not waste it on navigating complex and confusing tax forms. With Orion United Professional Tax Services at your side, it is easy to focus on what matters most—your family and your business—while experienced tax preparers gather, complete, and submit the required tax forms. Never choose between family and productivity or tax preparation again.
Everyone jokes about how confusing tax season can be. However, errors on your forms are no laughing matter, especially where your business finances are concerned. File with confidence by choosing an individual or business tax preparer from a team with more than 60 collective years of experience.
It is always a good idea to arrive early for an interview. The same is true of tax season. The earlier you file, the sooner you can receive your refund or stay abreast of any amounts you may owe. Plus, you can reduce or even eliminate the need for an extension with our professionals at your side should complexities or errors arise. Let us help you make the most of the time you have.
Maximizing Your Special Military Tax Benefits
For individuals actively serving in the military or have served in the United States Armed Forces, our experienced tax professionals at Orion United Professional Tax Services have been trained with the skills and resources to assist you with your tax filing needs.
You are eligible for various military tax benefits for the work you have put into defending our country. Making the most out of every tax benefit you qualify for as a former or current soldier in the military can be an overwhelming task, which is why our tax professionals are here to assist you.
Here is a list of the variety of military tax benefits and exemptions you can enjoy depending on your designation:
Current and Former Military Members
- Access to the MilTax, a program of free tax services for the military from the Department of Defense that includes free tax return preparation and access to e-filing software for all military members and some veterans
- Free tax filing assistance from volunteers
- Access to Publication 3 of the Armed Forces Tax Guide for active and reserve military only
- An automatic extension of your tax filing deadline
- Tax breaks for you and your family members
- Use of a special application of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- Exclusion of Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits from taxable income
- Federal income tax withholding after leaving the military
For individuals who have served in one of the combat zones recognized by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), combat income may be excluded from taxation. You may also explore special EITC rules that could lead to a larger tax refund.
For disabled veterans, your disability payment may qualify for specific tax exclusions or you may also be eligible to claim a federal tax refund if you have received any of the following:
- A lump sum disability severance payment that was counted as income
- An increase in disability percentage from the Department of Veterans Affairs
If you have already filed your taxes, you may benefit from a revised return filing for combat-injured disabled veterans.
Military Tax Deductions
There are also tax deductions and allowances that can be considered, as they can significantly affect the amount you owe or are refunded. Get the most out of your military tax benefits. These deductions include the following:
- Moving expense deduction for permanent change in station
- Reservists' travel deduction if the duties of a reserve take them more than 100 miles from home
- Uniform deduction for the upkeep of uniforms that cannot be worn while off duty
- Post-military life costs deduction, such as some job search expenses, including costs of travel, preparing a resume, job placement agency fees, and even moving fees
- Non-taxable Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) allowances, such as allowances for education and subsistence
Many more considerations for military members can be used to your advantage during your tax filing as an active or former Armed Forces member. Work with a professional from Orion United Professional Tax Service to learn more about maximizing your returns, receiving your military tax benefits, and complying with your specific tax requirements on time.